Monday, September 8, 2014

Week 13-Rock Springs, WY

This week has been pretty awesome. Jared sent me some good advice and I tried to apply it this past week and IT WORKED! Things went so smoothly. I focused on caring less about proving myself and what not and focused on loving my companion. It was tough in the beginning. It felt really awkward and uncomfortable at first being kind to him. It really didn't take long for us to really get along and know each other though. By doing so, I've learned a lot about him and where he came from. I have been able to discern that what he is struggling with is the same thing it talks about in Mat. 6:24. No man can serve two masters. He is extremely obsessed with his girlfriend and making sure that their relationship survives the two years. He loves her a lot. Recently another missionary who has been out 23 months got "Dear John"-ed and I really think that scared him. He is determined to protect his future with her by doing all that he can; which is understandable. Something that I also realized is that he really wants to be a good missionary--A great one! He really wants to help in whatever capacity he can and be changed by his mission. After we finished companionship prayer last night, we talked about stuff for like an hour or so after 10:30. Just about different experiences we had with each other and how we have grown. He has started to study on his own!! He gets up almost on time pretty much everyday now. I told him last night that I would miss him if he left and wanted him to stay another transfer. He agreed. He talked about how his goal for me was, by the end of him training me, not to be divided as trainer and trainee but to be like a regular companionship. He said he felt like that has happened. The biggest miracle I've seen this week has been how I've changed the way I view my companion and how we have drastically began to improve! The way that we've taught, its fun now, and the spirit is there in more abundance during our lessons. I think that he'll leave this transfer.  This week I fasted to be able to know how to best love him and help him be a better missionary after I am gone. I don't know what that is yet but I will keep praying and looking for it. 
I have learned to love fasting. I have so much more spiritual power when I fast. I can feel the spirit throughout the entire time that I fast! Usually it comes regularly, but not all the time. When I do teach when I'm fasting it's just a lot more meaningful and powerful! We had another good lesson with Trisha. I figured out that the spirit can touch people's lives so much more if they have real intent. She said that she really benefits from our visits and we help her be closer to God. She says she has learned to rely on Him where as before she would keep it all in. I like her a lot. I really don't get nervous talking in front of people now. It feels so natural teaching the gospel and I don't get jumbled up whereas I would a lot before my mission. I think a lot of it has to do with the authority I have now to teach the gospel. I have learned that my authority is to progress the work of salvation which extends past just traditional missionary work we think of. For example: teaching nonmembers the gospel. 

Transfers are next Tuesday it will be interesting to see what will happen. To answer your questions: We don't have iPads here. As far as who we are teaching, I really can't name them all, probably 20 or so. The other two baptisms that were supposed to be on August 23 had to be pushed back. I wish I could have been at the Piano Guys concert. Sounds fun!! I miss Micah! Emailing is so Time consuming! Peace!
-Elder Bass

 Later notes: Looking back i realize that i was being very harsh and judgmental. I could have tried to develop a relationship with him but i didnt really until this last time. Many lessons i had to learn later on in my mission that would have greatly benefited this relationship.
 I went on an exchange with Elder Page this week. He gave me some really good advice that helped me a lot. He said that three things that i can take away from this expreience would be 1. when hard times come later i knew i had the strength to be the missionary i want to be. 2. i was able to learn some really good social skills.. 3. I would know how to deal with disobedient companions later. 
I remember that one night Elder Clark was away from the car for some reason i drove off without him. and made a circle. Just messing around. As i was doing it i felt guilty becuase it was disobedient on mulitple accounts.

I would say diso all the time. Diso was short for disobedient. Everyone got irritated at one point or another in our apartment because i said it so much.

We had a really good zone meeting. I prayed for a vision of my mission and God gave me a vision of charity.





No comments:

Post a Comment