Monday, July 28, 2014

Week 7-Rock Springs, WY

Hey!
To answer your question, I picked Justin up midway. I really did get to know him though and care for his well being. I taught him probably 3 or 4 lessons before his baptism last week.

This week I went on splits to Elder Williams area for a day. Also, we had Trek on Monday.  It was a mission-wide Trek for the whole Salt Lake City-East mission. Trek was only one day but it was still a good experience. We played ball and had a testimony meeting afterwards. It was a good time. What I realized the most is that our time here is limited. And just like our time, after we die we will be limited as well. We won't be able to influence people as much and we won't be able to act and help others as greatly as our capacity on this earth life allows us. It was a call to motivation. In the same way, after I am off my mission I won't be able to effect people as much or be able to teach and be guided by the spirit as much as I can now. I need to make the most of my time!

Elder Freebairn, Elder Clark, Elder Bass after Trek

A little update on Heather... She came to church and it really was amazing to see her change. She said that she was finally able to focus on the scriptures. She shared this story in Gospel Principles class that Elder Clark and I were teaching. She said that our last lesson she realized something. When she was younger, she had to give up some of her kids to adoption. She has one picture of each of them. She said that she realized that if she could see her son, he would look a lot like me. I believe it was inspiration; I'm not sure she realizes it yet. She was always so hesitant about baptism and unsure and after that experience she said that she knows that she is supposed to get baptized and she knows that the gospel is good. We were going to move the baptism up but she still has to work out some things. It was kinda awkward that she shared that in front of all those people. It was all good in the end though.

We had the opportunity this week to go to a BYU dance performance. Our goal from the beginning was to get some nonmembers to go with us. We worked all day making visits and stuff with no success. We had a few maybes but we didnt have much hope for them. 10 minutes before it started, we stopped by one more house. She said that she would come! We met her there and she even brought and friend! After the performance was over, we were mingling with a lot of people. We met some of the dancers and we found out that another family of nonmembers we invited showed up! It was a great feeling because both families had awesome experiences!

Here are some tips get the members more involved in missionary work: Our stake is putting on a church open house. We are part of the organization committee for it. The missionaries are giving tours around the church starting every 15 minutes or so one day. They end in the gym where members are. Each family of members has a station that further describes the classes and auxiliaries of the church. They are going big on advertisement including billboards, radio, and newspaper. We are going door to door in our area handing out flyers. Every dinner we invite the members to pray about a family to bring. The talks in church are focused on missionary work. Its a great way to hasten missionary work. I could tell you more things but I'm running out of time. Congrats on the golfing btw! I wish some members could take us golfing! Anyways, hope that helped! Love you guys!
-Elder Bass

Later Notes: Something Elder Beard (one of my zone leaders at the time) did had a very big impression on me. He is super good at basketball. A lot of his mission budies were gathered together and were playing. For one reason or another i didnt make the team that was playing. He was very eager and persistent and gave up his spot so i could play.

In my journal i wrote of a time where i got up at 8am. We had personal study though my companion read Eragon. I weakly tried to initiate companionship study but Elder Clark didnt want to and my will power wasnt very strong. I slept through companionship study and Elder Clark wrote a letter to his girl friend.

Wisdom that i wrote down in my journal: After you have made the necessary preparations of planning and goal-setting, no need to worry about the future. The only worry should be doing the right thing now and the rest will take care of itself.

This week I had struggles getting along with people. I had trouble getting along with both Elder Clark and Elder Williams and had to vent about them both in my journal. I said that Elder Williams wasnt being an effective missionary. I said that Elder Clark doesnt have a desire to improve, has no self-restraint, and makes fun other missionaries just like any of the guys at school.



More Trek Pictures:



Left side middle during the sisters pull

Alex is in the back middle


No comments:

Post a Comment