Monday, July 21, 2014

Week 6-Rock Springs, WY

I can tell you've been busy! Its going well out here! So this week, we went on "greenie" splits. It was a pretty cool experience I went out with Elder Williams who was from my district in the MTC! He is pretty quiet but super obedient! And we were! Sometimes I struggle with my trainer.... He's an amazing guy and he's only been out 4 months! He misses his girlfriend a lot and he can be unmotivated but nevertheless I love him. My trainer went with Elder William's trainer and they were gone Monday- Friday!

We were lost for the first little bit but we tried to be exactly obedient and trust in the Lord! Each morning and night, we would earnestly pray for our investigators those that we came in contact with, to be more Christ-like, and to see miracles! Just a few experiences that we had....

We did some list work on our down time. The first night we set up like 4 or so appointments for the next week. It was great!  All of the appointment we set up are with part-member families!

We felt impressed this past Wednesday to knock on this one lady's door. A member that we did service for had mentioned that the people who lived there were nice but wouldn't be interested. An older lady opened the door. We got talking to her and probably talked with her for 30 or so minutes on the door step! The topic of conversation eventually turned to religion. She explained that she had been Presbyterian for the longest time but lately their church had moved out of the city. She said the Presbyterian faith had begun to accept gay marriages and changed some of their doctrine to please its members. She is very intelligent.  She saw that we were holding a Book of Mormon and said that she recognizes it and stuff. We asked her what she thought about it. She replied that she's read it three times! We set up another appointment for a few days later. When we came we talked for a while about a lot of things. We started to ask her more about the Book of Mormon and she said that intellectually she believes its true. I explained that when I was younger I felt the same way. I shared that in order to really feel and know that its true it's something different. I had to pray to know. She said she felt it was true! Such an awesome experience! This past weekend we stopped by and did some service for them! She has a husband and they are both investigators now! Tell Grandpa Ricks that his drip system stuff came of good use because that's what we did! They have a vast garden that needs watered and i was able to put my knowledge to good use! They accepted to take the lessons and so that's what we will be doing this next week.

Elder Williams and I were blessed with so much success! We had a vast amount of lessons and made a lot of progress! Our Heavenly Father truly blesses us for our obedience! I've also learned that we can never really pay him back. The more obedient we are the more he blesses us and the more we are truly behind. He loves his children SO MUCH!

Another experience briefly, we met a guy battling stage four cancer. We agreed to help him with service for his yard! It turned out good. We helped him in ways where he couldn't help himself. After we were finished, we talked a little bit and then got into the spiritual message. As I was opening to a more basic "God loves you" scripture or something like it, a scripture in Alma caught my eye. I looked at it and it talked about the judgment and resurrection. Simultaneously the thought came that everyone had different needs. I was hesitant because I didn't want to bring up death and resurrection to someone battling stage-four cancer. But I shared it anyways... He was super receptive to our message and said that he thought that he just was a spirit forever after this. It seemed to make him a little more happy or bright if that makes sense!

There were a few more awesome experiences but I just don't have time. I love this work! This is truly the time of his hastening and I'm so thrilled to be a part of it! Jesus Christ lives and God loves us! I know it! Thank you for all the support! Please feel free to write me I want to know! I love you all.
-Elder Bass

Later Notes: One story that i forgot to mention was a person that was named Sister Mcmurtrey, We stopped by her house because it was on the part member family list. She apparently said that she wasnt interested. I didnt hear her and asked for a return appointment, She gave us a return appointment. Elder Williams told me this afterwards.

Vicki and Evan finding was a miracle and something that i will never forget and a relationship that i will always treasure!

There was a 15 year old boy that we made a lot of effort to help. We went out and kicked the soccer ball around with him. We shared a thought and a prayer with that boy.  Looking back it is something that i am very proud of and something i see and minister of Christ would have done,

We also taught a lady named Melissa watson. She also has cancer. She let us come many times while i was in Rock Springs. This particular time we were on her porch and we couldnt go inside because of the third male rule. I remember the sun on her pale face.


I forgot to mention that we are going on trek this week so that should be pretty exciting! Justin was baptized this week. The baptism was AWESOME! We had to work to get people there and stuff but I truly felt like he was welcomed into the ward. He is such a great guy and he's going to fit in so well. Please be kind and fellowship those who are new they need you! He really wants to be a good person and a man of God. It went very smoothly.

I went on exchanges this week to Green River. We lived with an older couple for a few days and did some yard and house work for them! Here's a picture of me lifting weights at their house.


Do you remember my blocks tie?Sunday we have to go to three different churches so I developed an equation to calculate the volume of the tie! It turned out to be an awesome problem!

picture of Elder Williams from the MTC

1 comment:

  1. That's so cool! I'm glad I can keep up with his mission. Fun Times!

    ReplyDelete